In this self paced online course participants will develop competent investigative strategies for exploiting Facebook and "deep diving" into the user data. Facebook continues to be the largest social media site with over 2 billion users worldwide (2019). However, many investigators are either reluctant to use, or fail to fully exploit, Facebook and it’s phenomenal search engine. This is due to:
- A fear of social media in general and Facebook in particular
- They have never been taught how to properly exploit Facebook
- They rely on the office “geek” to find the information for them (who often misses a lot of the available information)
- Course length: 4 weeks / 25 hours
Current 2022 course offerings:
- Jan 5, 2022 – Feb 2, 2022
- Jan 31, 2022 – Feb 28, 2022
- April 4, 2022 – May 2, 2022
- May 2, 2022 – May 30, 2022
- June 1, 2022 – June 29, 2022
- Sept 7, 2022 – Oct 5, 2022
- Oct 3, 2022 – Oct 31, 2022
- Nov 1, 2022 – Nov 29, 2022
Who Should Take This Course
- Any investigator that wants a “deep dive” into Facebook to exploit all of its search capabilities and user data.
Much of the information found on Facebook allows us to branch off onto other important social media websites.
- Familiarity with the Internet and social media,
- We recommend that you take the Creating Effective Covert Accounts course to ensure you create a proper covert account,
- If you are new to OSINT we suggest that you start with either our Internet Lite or our Internet for Investigators Level I & Internet for Investigators Level II courses.
Upon the successful completion of this program students will be able to competently data mine Facebook. By learning to properly use Facebook, and all of its features, the student will be able to gather information on:
- Their subject (and possibly locate other subjects),
- Their witness (and possibly locate other witnesses),
- Their victim (and possibly locate other victims),
- The crime itself (video and images),
- Monitor events.
Upon successful completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate, through exploiting Facebook's search engine, how to conduct an investigation on an individual, group or event;
- Demonstrate how to exploit the search features of Facebook;
- Set up their Facebook account for covert investigations;
- State the importance of how to capture online information;
- Set up "sock puppets" and why it's important to follow certain protocols;
Text & Resource Material
Students will require the following:
- Laptop or desktop that uses either the Windows, MAC or Linux operating system,
- The Chrome web browser,
- Unrestricted Internet access,
- Students will be supplied with an eManual.
- Specific course evaluation information will be provided by the instructor at the start of the course.
- Most courses have short quizzes at the end of each unit and a "final scenario" at the end of the course.
- Typically, most of the courses are either a P/F or, require the student to finish the course with a 70% average.
The course price is listed for each college:
|Unit 1||Copyright Notice|
|Unit 3||Welcome to Facebook|
|Unit 5||Fake Accounts and Aliases|
|Unit 6||Old Facebook vs New Facebook|
|Unit 7||Facebook Spying|
|Unit 9||Profile Images and Photos|
|Unit 10||Finding Your Subject on Facebook|
|Unit 11||More Facebook Searching|
|Unit 13||Facebook Groups and Pages|
|Unit 15||Save Your Searches!|
|Unit 16||Third Party Tools and Sites|
|Unit 17||Facebook Myths and Legal Stuff|
|Unit 18||Facebook Final Scenario|
|Unit 19||Course Feedback|