In this course participants will be exposed to a multiplicity of OSINT and SOCMINT techniques that will enhance their previous knowledge of open source investigations. Everything from learning about their web browser, exploiting Google searches and the main social media sites.
- Course length: 4 weeks / 25 hours
Current 2021 course offerings:
- June 28, 2021 - July 26, 2021
- October 4, 2021 - November 1, 2021
Who Should Take This Course
- Any investigator that wants to expand upon their OSINT & SOCMINT knowledge. This course covers a multitude of different topics without going into too much depth.
- Familiarity with the Internet and social media
Upon the successful completion of this program students will be able to competently data mine the surface web in order to gather information on individuals, groups and events in order to further their investigation(s).
Upon successful completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate, through open source, how to conduct an investigation on an individual, group or event;
- Demonstrate how to exploit the search features of various social media sites;
- State the importance of how to capture online information;
- Avoid counter-surveillance
- Have a better understanding of misinformation
- Execute how to properly set up, use, and understand the Firefox and Chrome Web browsers;
- List the capabilities of the Firefox and Chrome Web browsers;
- Demonstrate how to manipulate Google searches through Google specific search terms.
Text & Resource Material
Students will require the following:
- Laptop or desktop that uses either the Windows, MAC or Linux operating system,
- The Chrome web browser,
- Unrestricted Internet access,
- Students will be supplied with an eManual.
- Specific course evaluation information will be provided by the instructor at the start of the course.
- Most courses have short quizzes at the end of each unit and a "final scenario" at the end of the course.
- Typically, most of the courses are either a P/F or, require the student to finish the course with a 70% average.
|Module 1||Internet Searching - Lite|
|Unit 6||You Have Competition|
|Unit 8||Firefox Add-Ons & Chrome Extensions|
|Unit 9||When do we capture online information?|
|Unit 10||Counter Surveillance|
|Unit 12||All Things Google|
|Unit 13||Google CSE|
|Unit 14||Open Source Searching|
|Unit 16||Geo Mapping|
|Unit 18||Social Media Profiles|
|Unit 23||Final Scenario|