One of the most common questions we receive is, "How do I make a covert (sock puppet) account?" This is usually followed by, "Why is Facebook rejecting my sock puppet?"
It's true, these days it can be extremely difficult to create an effective covert investigation account. Many social media sites use advanced techniques to check the authenticity of profile pictures, phone numbers, email addresses and your Internet Protocol address.
Investigating online means creating social media accounts. It is important that you create accounts that are anonymous and do not readily identify you. Why is this necessary? As investigators we need to create these online personas in order to:
- Protect our identity,
- Protect our families,
- Protect our file(s),
- Protect our organization,
- Our subjects know we go online to investigate them,
- Defense lawyers warn their clients that we monitor their online activity,
- People are now moving to more privatized sites and forums where you need to be invited to join.
This is NOT an online undercover course.
In this course you will learn:
- How to create an effective online covert account,
- How to defeat social media account checkers,
- The issues surrounding covert accounts,
- How to join online groups,
- The benefits of "burner" phones.
- Course length: 1 week or approximately 3 hours
Who Should Take This Course
Any investigator that investigates online.
Cyber Training International reserves the right to restrict student access due to the sensitivity of the subject matter being taught as per our Course Policies.
Familiarity with the Internet and social media.
Upon the successful completion of this program students will be able to:
- Create an effective covert account,
- Join all social media sites using these accounts,
- Recognize the investigative issues surrounding these accounts,
- Understand the need for organizational policy surrounding these accounts.
Students will require the following:
- Laptop or desktop that uses either the Windows, MAC or Linux operating system.
- A smartphone - preferably a repurposed phone (not a work or current personal phone). At the very least be able to access WiFi networks.
- Purchase a SIM card ($10) - preferable but not necessary
- Unrestricted Internet access.
Successfully joining various social media sites using your covert account.
- This course is not offered by the college.
- Upon successful course completion the student will receive a course certificate issued by Cyber Training International.
$80.00 (+5% GST)
Please see our Course Policies & Requirements for details.
|Module 1||Covert Accounts|
|Unit 1||Copyright Notice|
|Unit 4||Course Equipment Requirements|
|Unit 5||Policies and Procedures|
|Unit 6||Ethical Questions|
|Unit 7||What is a research account?|
|Unit 8||Active vs Passive Research|
|Unit 9||Building An Effective Account|
|Unit 10||More Things to Think About|
|Unit 11||Things To Avoid|
|Unit 12||Social Media Platforms|
|Unit 13||Final Thoughts|