This course is for those interested in learning about open-source intelligence.
Who should take this course?
- This course is for those in investigative roles such as analysts and researchers.
- Course length: 2 weeks
- Familiarity with the Internet and social media
Upon the successful completion of this program, students will be able to competently understand the basics of open-source intelligence.
The student will learn the following:
Understand what OSINT is and how it’s used
Where and how to start research
Understand ethical issues and other challenges related to OSINT
Commonly used OSINT tools, frameworks, and many other resources that can be applied to investigations
Upon successful completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Apply open source techniques with using search engines effectively
- Identify the target data within one's own scope of work
- Understand the ethics and challenges when conducting open-source research
- Gather various resources for open source researching, and learn to validate the tools used.
- Learn how to engage with the OSINT community
Students will require the following:
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Reliable internet connection
- Unrestricted Internet access to websites and ability to download software
- Specific course evaluation information will be provided by the instructor at the start of the course.
- Most courses have short quizzes at the end of each unit.
- Typically, most of the courses are either a P/F or require the student to finish the course with a 70% average.
Why is this course different from other OSINT courses?
- Ritu has recent and relevant investigative knowledge and experience and provides practical tips and tricks to support investigations.
- Ritu also offers a unique perspective on issues that affect Canadian investigators.
|Module 1||Introduction to Open Source Intelligence|
|Unit 3||What is Open Source Intelligence?|
|Unit 4||Passive versus Active OSINT Research|
|Unit 5||OSINT Process|
|Unit 6||Where Can You Find Open Source Information?|
|Unit 7||Who Uses OSINT for Good?|
|Unit 8||Ethics and OSINT|
|Unit 9||OSINT Challenges|
|Unit 10||Target Data|
|Unit 11||Where Do You Start? Browsers and Search Engines|
|Unit 12||Advanced Search Operators and Special Characters|
|Unit 13||OSINT Frameworks|
|Unit 14||Commonly Used OSINT Tools|
|Unit 15||Validating OSINT Tools|
|Unit 16||Protecting Your Environment|
|Unit 17||Resources to learn about OSINT|
|Unit 18||How to Get Involved in the OSINT Community?|
|Unit 19||OSINT Communities to Join|
|Unit 20||5 traits/habits of a successful OSINT Investigator|
|Unit 21||OSINT Conferences|
|Unit 22||Course Survey|